Friday, October 13, 2006

Socktoberfest!

Lolly asks to see pictures of our sock stash. My sock stash is WAY less embarrassing than my lace stash, so I'm happy to show it. See? Not that big. Of course, it doesn't count the 10 pairs worth that are in various stages of completion somewhere else in the house, but never mind that. It also doesn't include the roving I'm spinning that's planning on being socks. Ahem.


And some questions...

  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself. I wanted to start knitting just to make socks. The DPNs and I battled for a while, and then finally we called a truce and I've been a sock fiend ever since.
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was for my husband in Lion Brand Magic Stripes on size 3 needles. Looking back, the guage is way too loose. But he still has them and wears them. They need a little darning on the heel. That man is hell on socks.
  • What would you have done differently?
See "gauge issues" above. I also wouldn't have used Magic Stripes. Ick.
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Socks that Rock! They truly do rock. I completed a pair in the Lapis colorway, and my RPMs (I just typed PMS... Freudian?) are also in STR. I have some Artyarns Ultramerino that I can't wait to use because I can tell I'm going to love it.
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
We don't use that dirty "c" word on this blog. Not since the Great Star Blanket Fiasco of 2005. Nuh-uh. I have tried magic loop, but I still prefer my DPNs. The other ways just seem too fussy and just ways to avoid using DPNs, and since I don't mind DPNs and actually like using them, they're kind of just way too fussy for not a lot of benefit.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I prefer a flap. I have adopted the heel flap from Hedera for all my socks now. Basically you do Sl1, P1 on the wrong side and just knit across the right side. Seems easier to me.
  • How many pairs have you made?
I'm not sure. 10? About that.

  • Do you have certain patterns planned for some of the yarns? Do you buy yarn and then choose a pattern?

I have patterns picked out for two pairs. My last skein of STR will be Anastasia from Minty Fresh. And the Knitpicks Dancing will be the air-conditioned socks from Jackie E-S's sock journal. All the others? I have no idear. I just buy sock yarn and figure I'll worry about a pattern later.
  • Does a certain sock yarn you have in your stash take you back to a certain event? (where you were when you bought/received it? what was going on in your life at the time!)

All the sock yarn I've bought at the Woolie Ewe in Plano brings back good memories of sitting around knitting with Betty and spending way too much money. ;) Most of the other stuff was bought over the internet, so no, no special memories there.

No comments: